Do you love yourself enough to take a few minutes to read this through? Even if it could possibly change your life forever? Make you happier? Make you healthier?
There’s a lot of talk and focus on self care and self love at the moment and I, for one, am so glad. It’s time to make the effort to fill our tanks so that we have the energy, motivation and capability to proceed with the things in life that bring us the most joy and work towards our goals and desires.
How can you work for something if you’re running on empty?
What is Self Love and Self Care?
Self love and self care are, in essence, acts or services that you grant yourself in order to show yourself a little love and respect. They’re chunks of time when you stop, regroup and restore by doing something you enjoy.
Although there are definitely some things that you can enjoy with people you love, it is important to have a range of things that you can do by yourself so that you are not relying on anyone else to show yourself some love.
Self love includes so many things from enjoying 5 minutes of peace to booking a holiday to enjoy some well deserved time away.
What I tend to see online is all ways to perform acts of self love by spending money, which a lot of people either cannot or will not justify spending money on. But I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to spend loads of money to show yourself how much you love and appreciate all that you do.
I’m serious. Do you have any idea how hard your body works ALL. THE. TIME.? Like, even when you’re sleeping. When you’re ill and “weak” your body is working extra hard to get you back to your usual health. We need to say thank you to our bodies, our minds and ourselves as a whole for how hard we work and show appreciation for it all.
When we work, work, work (like Rihanna) and do nothing but give, give, give our reserve runs dry and we are left burned out, feeling defeated or struggling to find the motivation to carry on.
There’s a reason why I chose to start my blogs with this topic.
You cannot achieve greatness when your tank is on empty.
My intent is to help you achieve your goals, but in order to perform at your optimum ability and have the drive to chase your dreams, you need a full tank.
Self love is what fills your tank.
Ask yourself what is important to you and what makes you happy and you’ll have a pretty good idea about what acts of self love you could treat yourself to.
To some, it’s a hot bath with lots of bubbles, it’s a massage, it’s drinking a hot cup of coffee in peace, or it could be going to an exercise class.
After I had my 3rd son, one of my acts of self care was to enroll into a Spanish class. I had done the whole new mum thing twice before and knew how easy it was to lose your identity, so I did something that I’d always wanted to do (learn a new language) and had a couple hours once a week at an adult learning center and learning a new skill.
So you see, self care isn’t just about a bit of pampering, well, it’s not just about physical pampering.
But there are infinite ways for you to perform self love on yourself.
Here are 15 of my favourites:
- Read a book. Alone. In silence.
- A freshly brewed cup of coffee. In my favourite cup. Alone. In silence. Read a book. Alone. In silence.
- A bath or shower with some bubble or bath oils (you can absolutely make your own). No children asking me questions. Alone. In silence. Can you tell that alone time is important to me?
- Take a walk, alone or with those you love.
- Give yourself a mini mani/pedi. File and paint your nails.
- Go for a run and allow your mind to gain some clarity
- Find a workout or yoga practice on YouTube and do it in your living room.
- Take the time to do your hair or make-up.
- Use a body scrub or a body brush before showering to stimulate and refresh your skin.
- Use your loyalty points/gift cards to treat yourself to something. It might be a gift card from last Christmas from your Nan that you forgot about, but pull it out of the draw and go and spend it, because you deserve it.
- Pamper your skin with a face mask. It’s the part of you that the world seems the most and it deserves a little love. Again, you can absolutely make one yourself. So you have any bananas that you’re about to throw away? Mash it up and apply it to your face, washing off after about 10 minutes. There are so many DIY face masks recipes online.
- Put the kids to bed 30 minutes early. Unfortunately, time doesn’t just appear and then you can partake. You have to carve it out and schedule it in. If that makes putting the kids to bed a bit earlier once a week, once a fortnight, even once a month, it’ll be worth it for you, helping you to fill your tank and be a better version of yourself for them.
- Better yet, have a whole morning/afternoon or day off. If you have a good support system around you, utilise it. Now and again we all need help and rather than working into the early hours of the morning on your new business idea or clean the house or to just sit and enjoy being alone. In silence. Ask someone to pick the kids up from school so that you have a few hours to get into the flow, then a whole night’s sleep to recharge your batteries to make the next day great too.
- A family movie night. No distractions or worries from the outside world. Just cuddles on the sofa and enjoying time together. You could do this with a partner, friend or family member.
- Cooking myself a delicious and healthy meal. My favourites are a smoothie for breakfast and stir fry for lunch. There’s something about taking the time to prepare a tasty and nutritious meal/snack for myself that really confirms how much I love and respect my body.
Now that you have 15 ideas, and hopefully a few of your own, you have no excuse to neglect yourself any more.
Which of these are you going to try? Schedule your favourite three (or your own) into the next 7 days to make them a priority.